Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Forced Heterosexuality

I too was intrigued by this weeks readings in regards to the notion of heterosexuality as a socio-political constraint which forces the image of a normal relationship being one of a man and a woman. I think i found this article particularly interesting because, not only do i agree with its general observations, but it is also something which i have complicity accepted my entire life. Without realizing it, i have been swept up in this culture where we separate nearly everything into one of two categories: "norms" and "outliers." This is true for nearly every aspect of our lives, there is normal gender, education, sexual orientation, hobbies, etc. And if anyone was to not follow the normal constraints, they are immediately categorized, and often times discriminated against.

I was surprised i had never really thought about the notion of "Compulsory Heterosexuality" until reading Rich's article. By categorizing lesbians as deviating against the norm of heterosexuality, they are immediately looked upon in a negative light. I think this is interesting when we consider what the world would be like if we never had instituted the notion of compulsory heterosexuality, and what our would could look like if we find a way to get rid of its restrictions.

One area of her writing which i was a little baffled by is her notion of the sexual continuum. The idea that "all erotic life is a continuum, one which therefore includes relations with with men" makes me wonder, while it seems reasonable enough, if it contradicts the messages of many other lesbian activists. I have constantly been hearing about the notion that a lesbian is a lesbian and a gay man is a gay man (and this idea excludes any sort of sexual attraction to the member of the opposite sex). This just makes me wonder which is the more advantageous analysis for the further advancement of women's, specifically lesbian, rights. I tend to agree with the idea of a complex continuum because it makes me think of people falling in love with people and personalities (rather than a person for their sex), but whether this idea of an all encompassing orientation is possible in the mass-mindset is a whole new debate.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your articulation of relationships being "people falling in love with people and personalities (rather than a person for their sex)." I agree. For this reason what Rich had to say about the continuum resonates with me. I think it particularly useful to think about in connection to Rupp's article. The terms "lesbian" and "gay" and the ideas they are used to signify really are a Western construction. The continuum allows for people to fall outside of even these somewhat liberal terms.

    Though I think it is wonderful to think about and resist the normal/outlier arrangement. I wonder, can we exist in a different world? To me it seems that the majority will always consider itself normal.

    ReplyDelete