Thursday, April 21, 2011

Activism: Not Only For Women and Not Impossible At Colgate

The chapter by Shira Lynn Pruce called “Blurring the Lines That Divide: Social Change through Activism, Politics, and the Space Between” was the most meaningful to me, as she writes about how her education served to bring her passions to coherent and focused goals and efforts she could achieve. Though it seems that Pruce is a bit more of an extrovert than I am, her techniques of “putting herself out there” were both instructive and inspiring to me. I hadn’t really realized that the activist sphere is predominantly women (I was obviously aware that the political sphere is mainly men), but it makes sense since many treat activism as less serious or less valuable. Sometimes I shortchange grassroots groups and criticize their lack of large-scale impact, without fully acknowledging what they are doing on a smaller scale and how their actions can translate into large-scale change. I usually support structural changes, but I think I have realized the limitations of large-scale changes; when they are too broad, they can’t meet the needs of everyone. Some issues need small-scale changes because different populations have different needs (as Attenello realizes, the Mexican immigrants were not as concerned with gender-based violence as other issues in their community). Would activism around gender-based violence benefit their lives? Probably, but more impact would be felt if other more pressing issues were addressed.

It seems difficult to be an activist at Colgate. For the most part, students are either uninvolved in extracurriculars, not politicized about any issues (politically and socially apathetic), or involved in many extracurriculars and unable to devote enough energy to a specified issue. I fall into the third category and find that I am often stretched thin with my commitments and question how my time and energy can be spent best. Next semester, I am going to back away from some of my commitments and focus on a few that are most important to me (and most likely beneficial for the future work I might do). I think that deep down, everyone wants to make a meaningful impact in the lives of others. Colgate’s political and social cultures may not breed activism, but we can be activists on this campus by focusing our own goals and determining the appropriate actions to carry them out.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you that all the activities available at Colgate can feel overwhelming and sometimes I just don't know which ones to support and devote my time to. Its also frustrating that sometimes we give out time, effort, and even money to causes and then we don't see any results. Sometimes thats due to the fact that the results are so far removed from Colgate that we don't see them taking place, and sometimes I think we just don't put in enough commitment into projects to actually cause any change. Your post reminded me that next semester I really need to make a conscious effort to spend my time where my heart lies and do things on campus that will hopefully help others as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post caught my eye because I, too, agree with what you are saying. Colgate prides itself on having so many clubs and activities. And, if you can't find the club that's right for you, you can get funding from Colgate to start your club!

    While Michele and Amy discussed the issue of being too involved, I have found that students at Colgate are either overly involved (and can't fully commit to their organizations because they don't have enough time), or students are completely uninvolved. I think that as you get older, it's easier to identify what you want to do with your time at Colgate. I remember going to the clubs fair freshman year and feeling so completely overwhelmed by all of the options, and I just signed up for everything that interested me. Now, 3 years later, I still get the "Clay Club" emails...but have NEVER been to a meeting (I should really remove myself from that email list). Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that Colgate needs to tell freshman that it's GREAT to get involved, but it's not great to sign up for too much so you end up not committing to things. Find something you love, and commit to it fully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Along with Callie and Michele, I also found this post very interesting. I 100% agree with everything Callie, Michele, and Amy have said about Colgate's activism. While I do agree that the results are taking place somewhere very removed from Colgate, I also believe that the student body does not do enough to actively support many causes. Since we are so far removed from even a big city where there would be more local organizations to support it is easy to get lost in the thought process that even donating $5 off your Gate Card won't do anything. When, in reality, if everybody donated the $5 we'd be raising close to $15,000 which is definitely an amount that can help any organization or group. Even though we're in a small, secluded town, we need to be more aware and more willing to give time.

    ReplyDelete