Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Conveying Strong Messages through Silence

Through my Educational Studies coursework and independent study, I have encountered many texts which mirror Enloe’s opening passage about silencing in schools. Identifying that silencing can “come from a sense of being silenced” (Enloe 70) or can be a personal choice is an important distinction to make. Enloe also identifies the importance of hearing everyone’s voice and listening to others’ voices by citing Arendt’s ideas that arenas for public speech about public issues are necessary to the function of a political society. By sharing ideas, people learn to trust and understand each other more. A large part of the reason why I am an Educational Studies major is that I think changes that would benefit society (such ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard, reducing/ending discrimination and prejudice, increasing educational and employment opportunities, etc.) start in schools, which is why I am glad that the small classroom anecdote expanded to societal changes that seek to include the voices of women in public sphere to a greater extent, especially in regard to violence against women. Violence against women is traditionally a private discourse, but it should be public so it isn’t misrepresented, trivialized, or deemed less important than other issues.

I think it’s also important to consider our own class participation and what factors motivate us to participate (feeling valued, graded class participation, etc.) versus what factors deter us from participating (being the only ____ in the class, feeling intimidated by teachers or other students, etc.). Then I think about how factors that make me feel comfortable speaking (besides rewards, like grades, which can motivate for the wrong reasons) can be recreated in every encounter I have with other people in daily life, considering what factors might make them comfortable so that everyone’s voice is heard. For example, if it seems likely that someone won’t participate because they are the only_____ in the group, find other points of commonality so they will feel included, then celebrate their differences appropriately.

I think it is also important to consider how being silent (by choice and as a group) can actually convey a strong message. This Wednesday, Colgate is celebrating the Day of Silence, which is a “day of action in which students across the country take some form of a vow of silence to call attention to the silencing effect of anti-LGBT bullying and harassment in schools. Through their activities, students can speak out against harassment and organize for change for their schools and communities" (Day of Silence website). Once again, there is a distinct difference between choosing to be silent and being silenced.

2 comments:

  1. Amy I really like the way that you brought attention to the way that silence can make an important point aka the day of silence and also how it can be a personal choice. One thing that Enloe said was that sometimes women may not speak in class because they are so deeply engaged with the material that they withdraw into themselves. This made me wonder whether it is a bad thing to withdraw to think about the material. I came to the conclusion that sometimes as a woman it can be difficult to understand why I am unable to speak up in certain situations. Sometimes I believe it is because I am thinking so intensely about the material, but at the same time it could be because of pressures that I am unconscious are affecting me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    I really appreciate how you have taken Enloe’s connection of classroom participation to women’s ability to speak up or them being silence and expanding it with your personal story and your passion for education. One point that you bring up, which I did not think about when I read Enloe’s piece, is how sometimes silence is not always a negative act. Using the Day of Silence is a great example of how silence can be used for a greater cause. I remember when I was in high school having a conversation with a friend about why she did not want to participate in the Day of Silence. Although she is a supporter and activist for the LGBTQ community, she did not believe that being silent would do much justice to bringing awareness of the bullying and unsafe environment the LGBTQ community has to endure. She did not believe in, I guess the phrase would be, “fighting fire with fire,” instead she strongly believed that speaking out about this issue would bring a much more effective method of being awareness. As you stated, there is a difference between choosing to be silent and being forced to be silent, I guess we have to wonder which is more powerful, silence or words, when it comes to choice? And under what situations will one be more effective than the other?

    ReplyDelete