Monday, March 28, 2011

The Mommy Tax: The economic gap you don't learn about in school

This weeks readings are all about the ways in which females who experience motherhood or even the stereotypes of females in the household are hindered and to an extent silenced in life. The articles in The Essential Feminist Reader and Leading The Way are personal accounts about how simply being female has affected the lives of Pat Mainardi and Megan Pinand, respectively.

Mainardi dissects what she calls "the politics of housework". She says that we have all been brainwashed from previous generations and therefore have assumed roles as caretakers of the household, while men assume no responsibility. Mainardi discusses how quick and crafty men can be to get out of doing the slightest amount of regular "chores" and does a good job of comically translating typical excuses they may use. What I found kind of funny was that some of these excuses she mentions were ones that my brother and I used growing up to get out of household chores ourselves. I'm not sure what this means, but I thought it was interesting to bring up. What hits closest to home is the line, "I don't mind sharing the work, but you'll have to show me how to do it." I'd call this the 'playing dumb' trick. Also it was convenient because for that time you were shown, you actually got out of doing the work yourself.

Next account follows Pinand, a relatively young female who is entering the real world out of college. She recounts that upon graduating, she believed she would have it all...no sweat. When she actually gets into the working world, she realizes her dream of having a successful career with a corner office and a perfect family with two and half kids is not going to come as easily as she had thought. When analyzing the lives of her colleagues she realizes that there one or the other is bound to suffer. Her conclusion to whether women can or cannot "efficiently manage their work lives and their family lives simultaneously" is stimulating. Put plainly, Pinard argues that there is no perfect answer, it is not black and white. In fact, it depends a lot on specific circumstances which in some way gives me hope.

On a side note, I have tried to find in print or on youtube a video of Alexis Bellino, a character from the show Real Housewives of Orange County, recounting her views on marriage because they would be priceless for this post. They go against everything we have learned and she becomes the clear definition of why the feminist movement is still in tact. In short, Bellino frequently makes comments on the show about her marriage and how according to the Bible, it is a woman's role to stay in the house while the man goes out and provides for the family. She thinks it is a woman's job to have dinner on the table ready for when her husband returns and to take full responsibility for keeping the house clean. One last thing to point out is that she has three young kids and her husband has never changed a diaper, as she claims that "is not his job". If you are curious you should watch the most recent episode that aired last night, but I'm sure any episode with Bellino on it would give you a good sense of her construed idea of feminism.

1 comment:

  1. I found Mainardi's passage to be almost humorous as well because I can remember saying to my mom the same things you and your brother would say. After I read today's articles, I talked to my mom and asked what my dad did to help out with the housework. She said he normally helps out a lot, but when it came to laundry my mom liked to do it because apparently my dad didn't do it "the right way". Mainardi presents very strong arguments showing how we really are brainwashed from the beginning. I have seen Real Housewives of Orange County and I also find Alexis Bellino's idea of marriage to be humiliating. It is ridiculous that she is actually referring to the Bible and defending her role in marriage. As sad as it is true, I believe there are more women than just her who actually believe their role in a marriage is to be a housewife.

    ReplyDelete