Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Poverty in the past and Femisinism in the Future

I really enjoyed reading Rosanna Eang's passage "Leading By Example". Eang is a Cambodian female whose family immigrated to America as a result of multiple wars occurring in her family's home country. Eang's family grew up in extreme poverty where at times her and her underage sister were in some respects forced to work illegally in farms and live in tight living conditions. She responds to her unconventional American upbringing and how her past has shaped her future.

One line that really stuck out to me was Eang's sister's statement: "If you are a woman and you believe in your rights as a woman, then you are a feminist!" This quote was in the context of previous discussions Eang had had with her sister subsequent to her arrival at college. I think this is a great quote to bring up in class that we can relate back to when we first started the semester. Many students said they were not a feminist, me included. But I think as this course progresses, and we learn and conjure up in our own minds what it means to be a feminist, we realize that what we thought was feminism and what in reality is feminism were two very different things. I would have to agree with Eang's sister and say that what she said is true in my mind. However, I would alter it to say that a feminist can be a man or a woman.

Lastly, I would just like to note that after reading the passage I was very proud and respectful of Eang for her positive outcome in life. She suffered many struggles growing up, but in the end came out on top as a bright college-educated student with morals and respect for others. Having immigrated to the USA and overcome poverty, I would say Eang truly prospered from the inspiration of the 'American Dream'.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that one of the lines that really struck out to me in Eang's article was the one you quoted. While I also have come to change my mind over the course of the semester on exactly what it means to be a feminist, I thought this statement was pretty bold. I haven't sat down to really think about whether or not I fully agree with this statement but I think it definitely is very thought provoking. I now realize and believe that there are so many different types of feminism and different ways that people show it that I do not know if we can truly make that overarching statement about what it means to be a feminist. I do agree with you though when you said that, in the very least, the definition should be expanded to both sexes.

    ReplyDelete